Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

It is often ignored but fresh or dry grapes are very toxic foods for our dog friends. What is the cause of this toxicity? How is it manifested? At what doses? And what to do, in case of intoxication of your dog?

Well today, we do not know it yet! The grape compound (s) responsible for poisoning in dogs and the mechanisms of its toxicity have not yet been updated. We only know that grapes are responsible for poisoning that is quite unpredictable in dogs.

This intoxication can indeed vary:

  • from one dog to another: some dogs have consumed significant doses without showing signs of intoxication while others have become sick from relatively low doses,
  • and from one fruit to another.

What are the toxic grape doses for the dog?

Here again, doses of grapes likely to cause intoxication in dogs are still poorly known, but the minimum toxic doses that have been documented in dogs are:

  • for fresh grapes: 19.6g of grapes per kg of body weight of the dog,
  • for raisins: 2.8g of grapes per kg of body weight of the dog.

Raisin is therefore more toxic than fresh grapes : smaller doses are needed to trigger intoxication in dogs.

What are the signs of grape intoxication in dogs?

The toxicity of the grape is digestive and renal . In particular, the fruit may be responsible for the occurrence of acute renal failure in dogs.

In case of intoxication, digestive disorders usually appear in the first 24 hours after ingestion of grapes in the form of vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia (refusal to eat) and possible stomach upset.

The intoxication can then evolve in the 24h to 72 hours following the ingestion of the fruit by nervous disorders (weakening and / or more rarely disorders of the coordination) and an acute renal damage . This renal damage is manifested by the same symptoms that usually accompany acute kidney failure among: very significant decrease in the amount of urine that can go to their complete stop, anorexia, prostration and vomiting …

Dog poisoning with grapes: what to do and what remedy?

The only thing to do, if your dog has eaten grapes and / or you suspect poisoning, is to call your veterinarian or veterinary poison control center as soon as possible .

If you take your dog to the vet very quickly after ingestion, even before it shows signs of intoxication, your veterinarian can perform a digestive decontamination of the animal, possibly put it on a drip to protect its kidney function and especially place it under close surveillance for 72 hours.

If signs of intoxication have already occurred in the animal, then the veterinarian can only treat his symptoms because there is no antidote for grape intoxication. It can be:

  • anti-emetic drugs, antacids or gastric bandages in case of digestive signs
  • placement of the animal under perfusion, administration of diuretics and / or dialysis of the animal in case of acute renal failure.

The chances of the animal surviving the intoxication are good if the animal manages to recover a correct renal function as a result of its renal insufficiency. The prognosis is rather dark on the other hand when the dog produces almost no more or more urine at all.

By Guylaine VANDEKERKHOVE

Co-founder of toutoupourlechien.com and health & nutrition editor